You might think that you’re doing everything you possibly can to keep your carpets looking and smelling their best, but it’s likely you’re making a few mistakes. There are lots of simple ways you can improve your carpet-cleaning routine to get the most out of your floors, by cutting out your bad habits and adopting some new ones.
1) When removing stains always blot lightly with a clean damp cloth. Blotting is a process that takes longer and might need repeating, but it’s definitely a better way to tackles stains and spills.
2) If you’re using a chemical stain remover always test it out on an inconspicuous area of your carpet first. Chemical stain removers – especially those that contain bleach or other harsh substances – can damage or stain your carpet, so it’s important to make sure this isn’t going to happen to you!
3) An effective way to lift dirt from your carpet before you vacuum is to brush over it with a broom. This will help to lift the fibres and bring grime to the surface, making it a lot easier to vacuum.
4) Always deal with stains and spills immediately to help prevent them from setting. A fast way to lift stains if you don’t have any stain remover to hand is to use either lemon juice or white vinegar. Blot at the stain with a clean damp cloth and pat either vinegar or lemon into the stain. Continue to blot until the stain fades – this can take a while, but it will definitely give you the results you’re looking for.
5) Deodorising powders are a quick and easy way to leave your carpets smelling fresh. To introduce a boost of fragrance to your house simply sprinkle down a deodorising powder and vacuum it away. For a more natural alternative you can use bicarbonate of soda to the same effect – be aware that bicarbonate of soda will remove odours, but won’t leave your home with that fresh just-cleaned scent.
6) It’s a good idea to invest in a portable vacuum cleaner for on-the-go disasters. High traffic areas of your home are going to pick up crumbs, dust and dirt that you don’t necessarily want to pull out a hefty and large vacuum for. Keep a small one to hand for those little unexpected disasters – you’re more likely to deal with spills with a portable vacuum.
1) When spillages occur your first reaction is probably to rub at them, but this can make the stains spread and can even help to set them. Make sure to blot lightly to prevent this from happening.
2) Never use hot water to remove stains from your carpet. You might be surprised to learn that hot water can work to set a stain. Instead opt for lukewarm water for the best results.
3) Don’t assume that vacuuming is enough for your carpets. If you have the money then it’s worth investing in a steam cleaner for your floors. This is a great way to get rid of odours and bacteria, so if you share your home with pets or young children this is definitely something to consider. If you’re trying to keep your home clean on a budget then think about renting a steam cleaner on a monthly basis to ensure your carpets are always in great condition.